Nothing more than confetti on the floor

First ABBA costume of the year? Will I end up making more this year...? Time will have to tell! xD
Yesterday I had a very spur of the moment idea to make Agnetha's dress from the Happy New Year and Super Trouper music videos. I was making a video where I used an image of her in that dress and thought, hey I can make this.

I thought it would be very easy to make, as it's a very basic dress with the only complicated bit being the silver strips across the front that go all the way to the back. And seeing as I have this fluffy yarn type thing that I attempted to use as fluff for Agnetha and Frida's capes form 1974/75 and I also now know how to knit, I figured I could make her a mock feather boa as well.

The project took a little longer than I expected as I had to gather the dress in several places to get the flowy look I was trying to recreate and then attach the criss-cross to the front without taking away the gathers. I also realized that the silver detailing on the front of the dress was actually a bunch of sequins, so being the perfectionist that I am, I decided to sew a bunch of sequins on by hand.

All in all, the dress still was pretty simple and easy to make, it just took time, especially with the knitting. Thankfully I've learned that knitting while watching a good movie helps the process go by quicker.

Anyways, without further ado, here is the finished product!


Agnetha's hair definitely doesn't match the hairstyle that Agnetha had in the 80s, but she still looks great in the dress, haha.


A good look at the boa I knitted.  I think I could have made it a little longer, but I was running out of the yarn, so I ended it there.


And a closeup of my sequin handiwork. 


Here you can see some of the flowy gathers I added.  I probably should have added more gathers, but I'm happy with the result.


And the back of the dress.




And another picture of the boa since I'm super proud of it. :)

Will I end up making the rest of ABBA's outfits for the other 3 dolls? Maybe, but until then, I hope you liked Agnetha's Happy New Year dress.

Comments

Popular Posts