La question c'est voulez-vous

 This year I've sorta made it an unofficial goal to do more sewing, make more ABBA costumes that I had always wanted to make but never got around to it, mostly because I couldn't source any good fabric, plus I didn't quite have the skill set yet to tackle these projects.  

One set of ABBA costumes I'd always wanted to make but never attempted (thank goodness - judging by how bad I was at sewing initially, I would have done a TERRIBLE job on these hahahahahah) were these pink/purlple costumes that ABBA wore in early 1979.  These outfits first debuted during ABBA's TV special they did in Switzerland, early 1979, and then last worn in May of that same year.  

These outfits are sorta simple, but the fabric used for them are not fabrics you can easily find at your local walmart or even amazon.  I had to buy tights in the correct colors, spandex, and foil fabric from all different places, some from Hobby Lobby, others shipped from this specialty fabric store in the UK, and then some from Amazon as well.  Ultimately this set of outfits is NOT PERFECT, but I'm really happy with how it all turned out (well, except for this run that's in the front of Agnetha's shirt- but just ignore that :S )

At last, here they are:


So Agnetha and Frida's outfits are almost identical yet there are some subtle differences.  For starters, the colors, lol.  Agnetha's jacket has lapels whereas Frida's does not, and Frida's unitard has different shaped collar than Agnetha's.  Other than that, they're the same.  And yes I'm aware that Frida's bow is a little large.  I will fix it later.

Both jackets have puffed sleeves with some ruching along the forearm. 
And the front is held together with a hook and eye.  I originally wanted to use teeny tiny snaps, but I couldn't find mine because my sewing room is currently a mess lol.
Underneath the jackets Agnetha and Frida wear some undershirts made out of a more sheer fabric.  I used tights ordered off Amazon for them, and tights are ridiculously hard to sew.  I remade Agnetha's  shirt twice and there's still runs, but the second has less than the first so....
And the back is held together with hooks and eyes.
Last but not least, we have the boys' outfits.  Bjorn wears a turquoise top almost identical patterning to his 1978 animal print outfit, just without cuffs on the sleeves.  Benny wears a blue top with cuffs, longer sleeves that he'd actually wear rolled up a bit, and both pair their outfits with satin pants, and Benny wears a vest and tie.  The fabric I used for Benny's outfit I think is actually the closest in texture to ABBA's real outfits, whereas the fabric I used for Agnetha and Bjorn's visually looks the closest to their actual costumes if that makes any sense.

 Anyways, I am as usual pretty happy with how these outfits came out.  I have so many other ABBA related projects I'm working on, I'm super excited to get to work on those.  So tata for now. :3


Comments

Popular Posts