Hobbits

The Lord of the Rings trilogy has always been a very special thing for me. When I was a kid I watched all the movies and read the books and was a pretty big fan. Recently I decided to watch the trilogy again with Kitty and after watching all three extended editions of the movies, our obsession has sparked up quite a bit! So why not make dolls of our favorite characters?
Here we have the Ring Bearer himself, Frodo Baggins, and Samwise Gamgee, also known as Samwise the Brave. :)


I made both the dolls shorter than my regular dolls, as the Hobbits are supposed to be short.  I also made the tips of their ears pointed.  I curled their hair the same way I did all my other curly haired dolls.


A closeup on Frodo's face.


Sam's face.

I'm not entirely done with Frodo and Sam's costumes yet, as I have a few more pieces of clothing to add like their coats and a few accessories (I'm thinking of making the Ring but I'm not sure how to make it...), but since they don't always wear their coats, I think they're good enough to put up.  For Frodo I made for him a green cloak, a simple white shirt, brown pants with suspenders, and a light brown vest with a pocket.    The colors and fabric choices aren't exactly accurate to the way they are in the movies, but I used what I had and I think appearance wise it looks very good!

For Sam I made him pretty much the same thing - a white shirt, a light grey/blue vest, grey pants with suspenders, and a grey cloak.

Both capes have functioning hoods that fit pretty nicely. 

Frodo's vest as well as the two white shirts all have working buttons and buttonholes.  I had to sew the buttonholes by hand though since the buttons I used were a little too small for my sewing machine's buttonhole-maker.  :)

Frodo's cloak is secured with a button and is made in the style of the cloak that he wore in the first half of Fellowship of the Ring. 

Sam's cloak on the other hand is secured with a hook and eye.  His cloak is made in the style of the Elven cloaks that everyone was given in the movie, which is why I added green sequins to mimic the special pins that are on the cloaks in the movies.

For their suspenders, I just used pieces of elastic cut to the right size and sewn into place.
Their sleeves are also made extra puffy like they are in the movie and have cuffs.


I'm really happy with the way these dolls came out and very much look forward to making more Lord of the Rings dolls. Next on our list are Merry, Pippin, Legolas, and Aragorn, so stay tuned!

Comments

Popular Posts