Mamma Mia, Here I Go Again

Wow, 2 ABBA costumes made this year and it's only February. :'D Yesterday I got around to making Frida's 1974-75 costume. I believe this is the 3rd time I've made this outfit. The first is one of my earliest attempts to make an ABBA costume, and well, it's really bad.
the image isn't enitrely clear, but basically I made it all out of an old sheet or shirt, I can't remember exactly.
This second attempt isn't as bad since I kinda knew what I was doing then, except that I over did the sequins sooo much. 
And here is my third and probably final attempt. :D
Even though I can't say it's 100% accurate, I am much more satisfied with this than the other two tries.  I know I don't really have the right fabrics, but I think this resembles the actual costume enough that it's bearable.  And yes, I made another wig for my Frida doll, this time of her hair from late 1974/early 75.


This outfit is comprised of a satin cape, a tank top, an over shirt, a skirt, and some really simple boots. (I might add some extra details to the shoes later, but I'm not sure!)


The cape is pretty much the same as Agnetha's, just it's white and made out of the right material.


The skirt is made out of strips of I believe cotton, but the farbic has a slightly different feel to it so I don't know. xD
I pretty much made this using  the same method as I did my second try, just I added a few more panels so it wouldn't look so sparse.


The overshirt was probably the hardest thing I made, though it wasn't super complicated or anything.


On studying some pictures of Frida's outfit a bit more, I noticed that it has some satin in it which I never noticed, haha.  So I added that to the shoulders and sleeves as well as the cuffs.


I also did a lot of gathering on the top.


The tank top was very easy to make.  It's just two panels connected around the neck and then the back is tied together.


I also added a little bit of rickrack to one panel just like Frida's actual top.
Overall, I am super happy with how quick it was for me to make this outfit and how simple it was to make. I'm not sure which outfits to make for the boys next since they wear a lot of different outfits when Agnetha and Frida wear these costumes, but I have some ideas. Hopefully I can get to work on those soon. :D

Comments

Popular Posts