Merida Dress

One of the things I really love about Merida is her dress. The color is really pretty and the style of the dress is quite unique and interesting. When we first got Merida almost a year ago, I was a bit disappointed that 1) the doll came in the blue dress variant instead of the green one and 2) we couldn't keep her in the dress since the dolls always get stained from the fabric.
It's been an idea for a while to try and recreate the Disney animator collection dolls' dresses more in the style of the dresses from the movies as well as in better fabric that doesn't stain.

I happen to still have some leftover green velour from when I was making ABBA's velvet jumpsuits, and even though it's not the exact shade of green (Merida's dress seems to be more of a blue-green than a green-green if that makes sense lol) and maybe not the right material, why not give it a try and make Merida's dress for our doll?
And here is the final result! :D (Also if you may notice, the photos on our blog have gotten an upgrade - I got a new DSLR camera with manual focus abilities, so I can now take better photos!!)






The dress was fairly easy to make despite there being a lot of hand sewing.  I decided to attach the sleeves and collar piece by hand, and though it did take a while, it came out looking really good.











To secure the dress in the back, i decided to use mini-buttons instead of velcro because every single time I use velcro, their hair gets stuck in it. Overall, I am super happy with how the dress came out and how nearly screen-accurate it is to the dress in the movie.

Comments

Popular Posts