First ABBA costume of 2018!

So I realize that I haven't made a proper ABBA costume for my dolls since August of 2016, and I haven't even changed their clothes at all, meaning I haven't really done anything with my ABBA dolls and I feel kinda bad about that.
On May 2nd, 2016, I had done this whole post about how I wanted to start making more costumes that Summer, and well, I only got around to making two of the costumes that I had listed, the Velvet costumes and Agnetha and Frida's Girl with the Golden Hair costumes. xD

Among the costumes that I've been meaning to make is ABBA's 1974-75 tour costumes. I made them once before but they came out.. well... really bad.
Here's Agnetha's costume for example: 


At the time I made this costume, I only had cotton among my fabric collection, so I made everything, including costumes that are supposed to be made out of satin/velvet/stretchy material out of cotton.

The sleeves came out pretty well, but gluing on the sequins was a bad idea on my part. 

I also made the cape out of cotton, glued on a ton of sequins which don't belong, and only added the fluffy stuff later.
Basically I really wanted to remake these costumes, just never got around to it. Two years after I initially thought I was going to have the time to remake the costumes, I finally got around to remaking Agnetha's costume, and here is my first ABBA costume of 2018! :D
Here is a much better, more accurate costume! :D  Now I can't say it's 100% perfect, as perfection is super hard to achieve, but it's definitely better than the one I made ~6 years ago!


I made the jumpsuit out of a stretchy cotton that I've been storing for a few years now, saving for when i would finally get around to making this. xD 

The sleeves were a little complicated as I wanted to make all the layers separate from each other, as in not layered on top of each other and then all sewn together at the side seam, if that makes any sense.  Each of the bells, I'm going to call them, are made of the stretch fabric with a layer of tulle sewn over, and then some ribbon and sequins sewn on at the edges.

The pants were made the exact same way.

The front of the outfit is laced together with some embroidery floss.

I also used the same ribbon and sequins around the collar as well. 

Agnetha's actual cape is made out of a green satin, but I don't have any now and didn't feel like trying to find a way to dye my white satin, so I just used some leftover green velour. Someday I'll have to make the cape out of proper satin, but until then this'll do.

The front of the cape is closed with a hook and eye and I also have some white ribbon and sequins on the front as well.

For the fluff at the back of the cape, I used some brushed out yarn and sewed it on.  And yes, the fluff doesn't go all the way across the back, just on the sides.
I was able to complete the jumpsuit in just a few hours, despite the bells being a little complicated. Honestly I spent more time sewing on all the sequins than sewing the jumpsuit. xD But it was definitely worth all the time since I much prefer the look of the sequins when they are sewn on and not glued. Overall I am super happy with the way this costume came out and how accurate it is compared to the older one, and maybe I'll have inspiration to begin working on Frida's outfit next... :)

Comments

Popular Posts