Booker Dewitt

Booker Dewitt is the main character of the game that I am currently obsessed with, Bioshock Infinite.  You play the whole game through his perspective, and he's quite an interesting and enjoyable character to play as.  My brother introduced me to the game, and I am extremely thankful for that because I really, really love the game. :D

When I decided to cosplay Elizabeth, I was quite excited when my brother asked for me to make him a Booker cosplay as well!

During the month that I couldn't continue working on my Elizabeth cosplay because the I wasn't able to get the fabric from my local Walmart, I took the time to start working on Booker's outfit.

While you never really see Booker in the game since you're playing as him, besides the few times that you see his reflection in a window or a decoy brought through one of Elizabeth's Tears (portals that Elizabeth uses to bring in things form enough dimension), there are plenty of pictures of Booker out there.  Booker wears a blue-grey vest (depending on the picture, it sometimes looks blue and at other times it's grey), a black shirt with a white collar and cuffs, and a red neck tie thingy.  He also wears a backpack-like harness of some sort with a holster and a few pouches connected to it.  His pants are brown and pinstriped, but I figured they aren't the most important detail, so I didn't worry about getting those for this cosplay.  He also has a couple of straps around his arms I guess to keep the shirt sleeves in place? 

  For the majority of this cosplay, I just used existing fabric that I had to make the vest, harness, and necktie.  For the shirt, I got a black shirt from Goodwill and changed out the collar and cuffs with white cotton that I already had.  I thought making this outfit would be easy because all I really had to put time and effort into was a vest, but it turned out being harder than I thought because firstly, I was using a fabric that isn't meant to be used for making vests (I used the same blue lining material that I used for the hem of Elizabeth's skirt and also for Captain Cold's jacket), and secondly, I had no pattern so I made it all from scratch.  While you can easily make something without a pattern for dolls, it is not that easy for human sized clothing, haha.  So it was a lot of trial and error in adjusting the fabric to make it look right, seam ripping and re-sewing, and I'm still not 100% happy with how it fits, so I'll have to at some point adjust some of the seams and take them in a bit, etc.

For the embroidery that is on the lapels of Booker's vest and around all the edges of his vest, I decided to use the zigzag stitch on my sewing machine, set to a very small width.  I've been experimenting with embroidery a lot lately (it's for a project that you will see eventually - I just need to finish it, haha), but it's tough, and I didn't think I'd have the patience to embroider the whole thing by hand.  So the detail on the lapels didn't come out looking like the neatest thing in the world, but it looks enough like it.  It's recognizable at least. :3

The harness thingy that Booker wears was pretty easy to make.  It seems to be made out of leather, so I decided this would be the right time to use some fake leather/vinyl that I'd been given a little bit ago.  This was my first time using it (I made this before doing the Skyhook where I also used this vinyl, btw) so I was scared that it would be too thick for my sewing machine. Turns out it's pretty easy to sew through, you just have to guide the fabric through the sewing machine just a little bit if that makes any sense. 

I thought it would be fun to use eyelets to attach the straps to the back of the harness.  I got the eyelets back in 2017 for my RWBY timeskip cosplay, and I haven't used them since, so I didn't really remember how to attach the eyelets.  I stupidly put the eyelets in the same container as my snaps, so I accidentally attached the eyelets using a piece of a snap instead of the other side of the eyelet.  Since it was the wrong piece, my eyelets ended up looking weird, so I took them out and tried again, and ruined another set of eyelets.  Eventually I realized what I was doing wrong, put on new eyelets the right way, and now I have a ton of broken eyelets and no more working ones, but that's okay since I don't really have any other project that needs them right now.
The pouch on one side of the harness.  You can also see one of the arm band thingies.  I made it out of the same vinyl material.

A closeup of the vest and necktie.
Here you can see the holster that I made. There's nothing that goes in it, so it's kinda weird and floppy, but that's okay.  Also I forgot to tighten the strap at the back of the vest, so that's why it's just hanging down there.
Another angle where you can see the holster better.
Besides a bit of tweaking to the vest that I have to do, I'm very happy with the way my brother's Booker Dewitt cosplay came out.  It looks pretty accurate, and dare I say I like it better than my Elizabeth outfit. xD  I look forward to eventually going to a convention as Booker and Elizabeth.  That would be very exciting. :)

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this post and look at Booker's outfit, and I'll see you all in another post soon. 

Comments

Popular Posts