You're a wizard, Harry

Recently I had the opportunity to make a Harry Potter costume for Kitty. Having only watched the movies a few months ago, I feel quite new to the fandom, but I very much enjoyed getting to remake Harry Potter's outfit with Kitty.

Here is the finished costume (that could really use a good ironing, lol).  I made the cloak using the same base pattern as my Hux costume, but I modified it quite a bit, like widening the sleeves and the sides of the coat, etc.  The cloak and the lining were made with cheap bed sheets from Walmart.  I like using bed sheets since there's a good variety of colors (especially when my local Walmart decides to delete it's fabric section from existence every so often), and you get a lot of fabric, perfect for making large cosplay items.




The lining of the cloak.


The cloak secures in place with two buttons with fabric sewn around them and a piece of elastic thread. 
The tie we got at Goodwill.  When Kitty and I were looking for ties, we couldn't find any that was the right color, and the only one that was close enough had embroidered polka dots on it.  I figured it wouldn't be a big deal since we'd be sewing on yellow ribbon for the stripes anyway, but guess who ended up seam ripping out all the polka dots from the tie... xD  In the end, it came out really nicely and Kitty and I are really happy with how it turned out.




For the patch on the cloak, we used iron-on transfer paper.  Now I was out of dark transfer paper, so we instead printed it out on light transfer paper, attached it to white fabric, then cut that out and sewed it onto the cloak.  It's a way longer process than just printing it out on the right type of transfer paper and sticking it onto the cloak, but it has some nice dimension now and looks really nice in the end.


For the sweater underneath the cloak, we got a black turtleneck from Goodwill since we couldn't find any good sweaters.  I cut a V-neck (that looks more like a U-neck, but whatever) into the shirt, used the turtle neck itself to be the cuffs and the ribbing, and we used a simple zig-zag stitch to attempt some yellow and red stripes on the sweater.  (They came out looking a bit ugly, but they aren't seen much under the cloak so it's all good.)


And last but not least, we made a wand.  With my dad's help, but used a section of a dowel, drilled out the center, stuck a stuffing stick into it (since I have an abundant supply of those), added some aluminum foil around the base as well as some hot glue detailing, painted it with some gold and brown paint, and ta-da, we have Harry Potter's wand.


And that's all for now. We hope you enjoyed Kitty's Harry Potter cosplay, and hopefully we'll have more posts coming out soon. :)

Comments

Popular Posts