How we ended up with 10 Ever After High dolls

One of the things I've always wanted to try out was repainting dolls. I've seen a lot of tutorials and videos on YouTube of the process of completely repainting various Barbie, Monster High, and Ever After High dolls. I've never had any of those dolls of my own besides one old barbie my grandparents got me as a birthday present years ago, but I wouldn't repaint that one anyway because firstly, it's a gift, second, it lost its head due to being dropped down the stairs a few too many times.... Also I haven't seen the doll or its head in years so who knows where it ended up.
Anyway, I decided to check my local Goodwill to see if I could find any used dolls there, particularly Ever After High dolls, but I didn't find any there. I did find a Rapunzel doll which I will talk about in a separate post later. I also checked Savers and couldn't find any good dolls there either. So my next place to look was Ebay and I found a pretty good deal of 9 Ever After High dolls that were all in pretty good condition. So as soon as I could, I bought it and it arrived surprisingly quick. They all needed a bit of fixing up, like their hair was sticky due to the factory glue and one of the doll's heads was squashed and pushed in a bit too much, but it was easy to fix them up. For the sticky hair, I used talcum powder and sprinkled all over the sticky bits, and with the squished head I just pulled at it a bit until it was in the right place. I also used some nail polish remover to remove some marks that weren't supposed to be there.
After doing so much work for them, I didn't feel right removing their faces and cutting off their hair. Even though I wanted to experience repainting dolls and possibly selling custom one of a kind dolls afterwards, I decided to keep them. After sewing some clothes for all of them here they all are! Also, I figure I should mention that a few weeks after my trip to Goodwill, my friend was able to find a Madeline Hatter doll and got it for $1, and she had me turn it into a X-23 custom doll. I'll have a more detailed post on how we made her later. :)

From left to right, we have Faybelle Thorne, Apple White (Getting Fairest), Briar Beauty (Legacy Day), Raven Queen, X-23/Madeline Hatter (Mirror Beach), Briar Beauty (regular), Cupid, Madeline Hatter, Bunny Blanc, and Apple White (regular).



Of all the dolls I got, I feel that Faybelle was in the best condition.  Her hair wasn't sticky at all and everything was intact, also her hair was still in it's original ponytail and felt super soft.  :)  For the doll, I decided to maker a simple off-the-shoulder white top with a plaid collar piece and cuffs, along with a simple pair of jeans.  I honestly like this outfit the best as well. :)



For Raven, I made for her a simple striped top and black leggings.

For the Briars, I decided to make them matching outfits.  Legacy Day Briar is wearing a black top and a purple patterned skirt, and Regular Briar is wearing a purple patterned top with black leggings.  Both the Briars needed a lot of work done with their hair since they were extremely sticky, but the talcum powder really did the trick. :)  Also since Briar Beauty is Kitty's favorite doll, I decided to give both dolls to her.



For some reason Cupid has never been among my favorite dolls, but I'm warming up to her.  I really like her pink hair!  I made for her a simple grey top that ties around the back and a pair of wide blue pants with a zebra stripe waistband.  Very 1990s looking if you ask me.  :)  Also my Cupid came with Madeline's hands instead of her own, but it doesn't bother me.  It makes her unique. :D


Of all the dolls I got, I'm pretty sure that Madeline is my favorite.  I don't know why, but there's something about that I really like!  I like how small she is and also how crazy my doll's hair is.  For the doll, I originally made for her a striped tank-top, but now she's wearing the clothes and shoes that the Madeline my friend got from Goodwill was wearing as well as homemade shorts that Kitty made. :)


I'd always wanted to get an Apple White doll, so I'm extremely happy to now have two of them.  For this Apple, I made for her a simple flower-patterned black dress that I thought went well with the doll. :)


The custom X-23 doll that I made for my friend. :D  I'll have a detailed post about her later so you can read in more detail on how I made her.  I didn't actually end up repainting her face, but I redid her mouth with a lighter pastel.


The Regular Apple White doll is definitely among my favorites of all the dolls i got.  I absolutely love her hair and also the details on her eyebrows, and the outfit she's wearing came out extremely well.  Kitty painted on the designs on the shirt with acrylic paint, making the top unique and very stylish. :)


One of Apple's hands is missing and the seller gave her a random hand from another doll, only now Apple has two left hands...  I don't mind though, and if I want, I can always order a replacement from Mattell for $4.

And last but not least, here is Bunny Blanc.  I feel like someone trimmed her hair a little bit, but it's not that drastic a cut and it looks pretty okay to me.  For Bunny I made a cute little flared top and a super cute denim skirt!



I had a great time re-purposing these dolls, making clothes for them, and making most of these dolls my own, and I hope you enjoyed the post. :)

Comments

Popular Posts