Custom Doll: X-23

As promised, here is a detailed post on how I made a custom X-23 doll out of an Ever After High doll for my friend. :)

The doll used was a Madeline Hatter doll from Mirror Beach, found at Goodwill for only $1.


A closeup of her face and hair. :)


The first thing I did to start this custom doll was to make the outfit.  It's basically just a simple black tank top that secures in the back with velcro and a pair of black pants. (I haven't figured out how to make shoes for these dolls yet!)
Then I cut off all of her hair.  I'll admit it was hard cutting off all of that lovely hair, but it was worth it I think.  Then after cutting it as short as possible, I used a pair of tweezers to pluck out all the little hairs.  That part definitely took a while and my friend did the majority of the the plucking.  Also while dealing with the hair, I took the head off so it'd be easier to get the hair off.  It was a little difficult to take the head off, but it's easier to take it off than to put it on!


And after a while, we finally got all the little hairs out!


The next step was to remove the paint at the top of the head with Nail Polish remover.  I used a remover with 100% Acetone and removed the paint with a few Q-tips.


Next I made the wefts of hair using brushed out and straightened with a flat iron brown and black yarn.  After brushing all the hair out, I used Tacky Glue to glue the hair together to make wefts, and after those dried, I glued them onto the head.  This process definitely took quite a few hours!



The last thing I did was remove her lips using the same nail polish remover and repaint them using some red pastels.  I sealed it in with a sealer spray that I use for art.  I can't remember what brand it is, but it's made out of milk products or something like that.  It took probably 3 coats of spray and layering the red pastels before I was finally satisfied.  Using pastels to repaint the lips was definitely a bit messy, but I much prefer how soft it looks to the way painting with acrylic paint would look.


And that's pretty much it. We still need to find away to make her claws and shoes, but besides that this custom doll is done. I'm sorry I wasn't able to get all that many pictures, but I tried my best to document the process as best I could. I hope you enjoy this custom X-23 doll!

Comments

Popular Posts