Mamma Mia



Seeing as I made outfits for Agnetha and Frida from 1974/75, I figured I should make something for the guys as well. Bjorn and Benny both were lots of different outfits to go along with Agnetha and Frida's, so I wasn't entirely sure which costumes to make for them. After a lot of thinking, I finally decided on the white overalls with the orange shirt since Bjorn wears that in the Mamma Mia music video. Turns out I've made this outfit several times before, the first time was I believe one of the first ABBA outfits I made for my dolls.










The first time I made this outfit, I made the overalls out of an old bedsheet or shirt I believe, and the shirt out of orange cotton.  I had hemmed it all using blue thread for some reason (bad idea, Becky...) and also didn't know about all the details or about the different layers on the pant legs.  I also glued on a piece of orange yarn for the tie at the front of the shirt.


The second time around, I made the shirt a little puffier like it's supposed to do, still not so sure what I did with the tie at the front, but I made my new overalls just a little better this time.  I added the different layers, sure, and attempted to add the silver details at the bottom with a black pen, but I didn't do it very well, haha.
I also made Bjorn's cape thingy out of brown fleece.


The next time around, I kept the same shirt, but I made new overalls (that seem to still have the same problem of falling down at the straps, haha) with better layers on the bottom.  No detailing this time, but a much better design for sure.


And I made this outfit again for my friend Eleonore's ABBA dolls, this time using satin for the overalls and a slightly better design for the shirt (still made of the same orange cotton, haha.)  This time the ties at the front actually function!
And now I think I've finally made this outfit for my Bjorn doll that I'm actually satisfied with! Of course it's not perfect, as nothing I make is, haha, but it's good.
This time I even remade the cape piece as well, using a leopard print fleece blanket that I got from my grandma's house.  I know Bjorn's actual cape isn't that exact pattern, but it's similar enough that I just went with it.


After studying some images of Bjorn's cape, I think I was able to make it with the same closing style, with two buttons that hold it together.


I yet again made Bjorn's shirt out of the same orange fabric (I need to find a striped orange fabric for his shirt...), but I made it much better than the previous two times.  I gathered the top of the sleeves and also made the tie functional. 


I even added elastic to the ends of the sleeves.  Because of the fabric I'm used, it doesn't fall the right way, but until I get my hands on a better fabric, this'll have to do.




For his overalls, I made them out of satin and actually added a silver thread to the ends of the pants.  Of course I had some issues with lining it up, but it looks good from the sides at least. :3


I also added the silver detailing to the front of the overalls.


And to fix the problem that I've had in the previous outfits, I made the straps connect with an X shape so they'll stay up better.
Overall, I'm happy with the way this outfit came out. I have yet to make Bjorn's platform shoes, haha, but this outfit looks fine for now. Next up is Benny's outfit and then I'm done! :D

Comments

Popular Posts